Improving nutrition in care homes and beyond
This session will be interactive and will cover simple, food based approaches regarding how older adults resident in both care homes and their own homes can be supported to improve their nutrition and hydration. We will discuss the evidence base for a practical, food based approach to achieve this. The joint PrescQIPP and British Dietetic Association “Creating a fortified diet” recipe resource will be showcased as well as prescribing data on oral nutritional product prescribing. Sustainability of approach will also be considered.
• Understand what both National guidance and the current evidence base advise about improving nutrition in adults at risk of malnutrition
• Gain simple ideas about how to use food effectively to manage malnutrition in older adults
• Understand the role of the Advisory Committee on Borderline Substances (ACBS) in approval of prescribed nutritional products
• Gain greater insight into interpretation of prescribing data of nutritional products
• Know where to find independent resources to support you in managing this important clinical area.